Mailify assigns an engagement score ranging from 0 to 5 stars to each of your contacts based on how they interact with your email and SMS campaigns. The higher the number of stars, the higher the engagement of the contact and the higher the interaction level with your next campaigns (open, click, reply) is likely to be too.
Use this information to sharpen the targeting of your campaigns and to send the right message to the right person. For example, you could send a dedicated offer to your most engaged contacts or follow up contacts who haven't interacted with your campaigns for a long time with a customized message.
What is the engagement score? How is it calculated?
The algorithm developed by Mailify takes into account opens, clicks, replies, unsubscribes, the number of campaigns sent and other contact-specific criteria to define the level of engagement for each contact.
This algorithm was used to define an engagement scale ranging from 0 to 5 stars:
- 5 stars is the highest engagement rate. It indicates that your subscribers interact (opens, clicks, even replies) systematically with your campaigns.
- 0 stars is the lowest engagement rate. Subscribers only have an engagement score of 0 stars if they have received at least 3 campaigns but have not interacted (opened, clicked) with any of them.
In some cases, Mailify will not display any stars, but will display a text explaining why no stars can be assigned to the contact:
- Not evaluated: these are contacts who have not received any campaign, or who have received an insufficient number of campaigns to be able to evaluate their level of engagement properly.
Let's assume that you send a monthly newsletter to all your subscribers. Here is what the different engagement scores could look like over a 12 month period.
- Contact #1 has just subscribed to your newsletter. He has only received and read your last newsletter. However, Mailify's algorithm needs more behavioral data to be able to rate his engagement level in a fair and reliable way. The engagement score of this contact cannot therefore be evaluated. The mention "not evaluated" will be displayed instead of the stars.
- Contact #2 subscribed to your newsletter a year ago, but has not opened any of your 12 newsletters. This contact's engagement level is non-existent and will therefore be given an engagement score of 0 stars.
- Contact #3 read your first 6 newsletters but unsubscribed after receiving the 7th newsletter. We consider that an unsubscribed contact is no longer engaged. The mention "Unsubscribed" will therefore be displayed instead of the stars.
- Contact #4 is a fan of your brand. He read all your newsletters and found content of interest for him. They clicked on every link in your newsletters (except the unsubscribe link). The level of engagement of this contact is relatively high and will be symbolized by 5 stars.
Where can you see the engagement score of a contact?
Engagement score in contact lists
From the home screen, go to the "Contact Lists" section and enter the contact list of your choice. The engagement score is displayed for each contact in the "Engagement Score" column.
The engagement score in the contact sheet
You can also view the engagement score of a contact by going to their contact sheet. The engagement score is displayed with stars on the right of the email address.
NB: In some cases, Mailify will not display stars, but will display a text explaining why no stars can be assigned to the contact (unsubscribed, bounced, complained, not rated)
How to create targeting based on the engagement score of your contacts?
From the home screen, go to "Contact lists" and select the contact list of your choice to view its details.
Click on the "Targeting" button located on the upper right of your list.
Once you have clicked on this button, new options will appear on the screen on the right of your list.
You can then start your targeting.
In the first drop-down menu, select "Engagement Score" as variable for your targeting.
The second drop-down menu allows you to apply a condition to your variable. Here are the conditions available for the engagement score:
- is different from
- is equal to
- is greater than
- is greater than or equal to
- is lower than
- is lower or equal to
- is between
The third drop-down menu allows you to select the number of stars (0 to 5 stars) relating to the condition previously defined. You can also select one of the reasons why Mailify cannot calculate an engagement score (unsubscribed, bounced, complained or not rated).
Here are some real-world examples of how engagement score-based targeting can be used:
- If you want to reactivate your inactive contacts, you can for example create a targeting gathering the contacts who have already received several of your campaigns but have never interacted (opened / clicked) with your campaigns. Here is the targeting you could set up: "Engagement score is equal to 0 stars".
- On the other hand, you might want to reward your most active contacts by sending them a dedicated campaign with a special offer (discount, promo code, contest game, etc). You would then simply create the following targeting "Engagement score is greater than 3 stars" (the number of stars is given here as an indication, you are free to define the number of stars that corresponds to your targeting).